The holidays are upon us and it’s time to prepare your pet for the season. The most important thing to keep in mind is that pets can get very sick during the winter months. Make sure your animals have plenty of food and water, but don’t forget about their safety! You should also make sure they have a warm place to sleep at night. Here are some tips for taking care of your pets this month:
Keep pets away from the tree.
- Keep pets away from the tree.
- The tree is made of pine needles, which can be toxic to pets.
- If you have a live Christmas tree, make sure it’s not near anything that could catch fire.
Don’t let cats eat tinsel
Tinsel is a choking hazard, and should never be given to your cat. If the tinsel gets caught in your cat’s throat or intestine, it can cause an intestinal blockage that requires surgery. Tinsel is not digestible, so it will not pass through the digestive system like treats made of real meat or cheese do.
Be wary of wrapping paper and ribbons.
The holidays are a time for joy and celebration, but it’s important not to forget that our pets are also celebrating. While we may enjoy the festive atmosphere, your pet might find it overwhelming. They’re likely to spend more time indoors than usual, and if you have a small dog or cat who tends to get overstimulated in large groups of people (or other pets), this can make them anxious.
One way you can make your pet feel safer during the holidays is by keeping ribbons and wrapping paper out of reach. Ribbons are dangerous because they can cause intestinal blockages or rupture when ingested by dogs and cats; while wrapping paper is visually stimulating for some pets and may be mistaken as food! If you do need to use either ribbon or paper, keep them out of sight (and paws) by storing them safely away from where your pet sleeps or plays.
Avoid chocolate gifts.
Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats, so it’s a good idea to avoid giving your pets any chocolate-related gifts. In fact, even the smell of chocolate can be harmful to your pets if they’re exposed to it over time. Chocolate is also toxic for birds, fish, and most other small animals.
Keep people food out of reach
Pets should be kept away from foods that aren’t meant for them. This includes:
- human food
- toxic materials, such as cleaning products and plants
- poisonous substances, like rat poison
- harmful substances, like nail polish remover
Watch out for indoor/outdoor doors.
- If you have a sliding door, make sure it is locked.
- If you have a screen door, make sure it is closed.
- If you have a door that opens to the outside, make sure it is closed.
Turn down the heat and avoid heaters.
While you’re making sure your pet has a warm place to sleep, you should also be thinking about how to keep them out of the heat. If your home is especially warm, consider turning down the heat or opening windows to allow for a cool breeze. If you have an electric heater, keep it away from your pets and don’t let them sleep on radiators or heating vents.
If possible, make sure that your pet can move away from any areas that are too hot for comfort as well—this includes things like sunny windowsills and radiators.
Keep holiday plants out of reach
- Christmas poinsettia is highly toxic to pets. Let’s just be clear: it can kill them, and it doesn’t matter if the plant has been dried or is artificial. The whole point of this blog is to help you keep your pets safe during the holidays and poinsettias are one of their biggest threats.
Keep the plant out of reach and away from your pets at all times, including when you bring it home from the store. If you have a natural backyard garden, consider putting an extra fence around any plants that might be dangerous for your pet(s).
If your pet does eat part or all of a holiday plant (or any other toxic substance), call an emergency vet immediately because it could result in death!
The holidays can be a lot of fun, but they can also be dangerous for you pets.
The holidays are a time for good cheer and having fun, but they can also be a dangerous time for your pets.
- Keep your pets away from the tree! The tinsel and needles on the tree can be very harmful to your pet’s paws, eyes and mouth if they are ingested.
- Don’t let cats eat tinsel! This may sound obvious, but you’d be surprised how many people don’t know that their cat loves to eat certain things that aren’t meant for them. If you have any concerns that your cat might eat something it shouldn’t (like tinsel), keep them in another room where there are no dangers lurking about!
- Be wary of wrapping paper and ribbons! If a present was wrapped with these materials, it should stay out of reach until you’re sure those items aren’t poisonous or otherwise dangerous for pets who might get curious about them later on down the line during their daily routine.”
I hope these tips help you enjoy the holidays with your pet. You love them and want to keep them safe, but it can be hard to know what to do. You don’t have to worry too much though! Just make sure that you keep an eye on your pet during the season, and follow our advice here for a happy holiday for both of you!